Postgraduate Training Opportunities
BCRE offers both technical and scientific training in the form of postgraduate studies (i.e. BSc Hons, B Tech, MSc, M Tech, Ph D), ship and field programs in a variety of fields:
- Physical and applied oceanography
- In situ operational oceanography
- Marine technology development
- Marine mammals
Students are recruited and assigned to a supervisor in the field of interest. Co-supervision is also arranged with one of the following South African universities, or other appropriate universities who issue the degree:
- University of Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Rhodes University
- Nelson Mandela Metropolis University
Note that BCRE is limited in the number of postgraduate positions available each year and their availability depends on funding available.
In short BCRE offers:
- Full time or part time study topics/projects.
- Bursaries through private funding or the South African National Research Foundation (NRF).
- Supervision from specialist scientists.
- Support from a highly competent core of oceanographic technicians.
- Scientific diving and small boat training with appropriate dive school.
- Access to high-end technologies.
- Hands-on experience on research vessels, in the field and laboratories.
- Access to extensive historical datasets.
- Education and training programs for individuals seeking employment within the sector.
How to apply:
- Identify the area of interest for your studies (see Contact Us).
- Contact the relevant Research Associate with your specific project in mind or indicate which aspects interest you.
- Once a research topic has been decided upon, you will then need to register with one of the above universities.
- BCRE administration offers assistance with applications for bursaries.